11 July 2019

Day 8 - Tour Day 6 – Wed 10 July 2019 – Poznan to Gdańsk

Sunrise:         4:41am                                              Sunset:          9:16pm
5:30am:    I have just checked the weather forecast for Gdańsk and there will be showers this morning with a range of 13 to 20 and mainly a cloudy day. Should be a good day though.
Breakfast at 6:30, bags out by 7am and departing at 8am.
I went down to breakfast shortly after 6:30 and the only other people from the group who were there, were the Californians, Imelda & Conrad and Rolanda & Rudie.
No scrambled eggs on offer today but the bacon was nice and crispy, as I prefer it to be. They also had a great range of fresh fruits.
John & Kathy joined me shortly before I finished my breakfast, so chatted to them for a while.
I went back to my room at 7:15 and all the luggage was still in the corridor but most of it was gone before 7:30.  I think my hand luggage is almost as heavy as my main luggage.
There are a few people that I know are doing part, if not all, of my next tour.
The next tour is a combination tour, made up of Warsaw & the Baltic States and Easy Pace Russia.
John & Kathy are doing the Warsaw & Baltic States, then leaving and doing a Uniworld river cruise down to Moscow and Nicole is doing the same as my, the full combo.  I received an email from the TD earlier today and the TD for the tour is Anna Luthi.
I went downstairs at 7:45 and the main luggage was still being loaded on the coach AND it’s raining. Thankfully, I have my raincoat & brolly in the backpack today, just in case.
First stop today is at Gniezno.
Gniezna is in central-western Poland, about 50 kilometres east of Poznan, with about 69,000 inhabitants, making it the 6th largest city in the Greater Poland Voivodeship.  The Roman Catholic archbishop of Gniezno is the primate of Poland, making it the country’s ecclesiastical capital.. 
The rain had pretty much stopped by 8:30.
The Royal Gniezno Cathedral is a Brick Gothic cathedral located in the historical city of Gniezno that served as the coronation place for several Polish monarchs and as the seat of Polish church officials continuously for nearly 1000 years.
We arrived at the Cathedral at 9am and walked up to it from the bus park. Viewed the winged bronze doors,

then entered the church to have a look around.
For anyone who is heading to Poland, you pay for the toilet breaks and it’s 2 zloty. 
On the road again at 10am heading forwards Torun.
Toruń is a city in northern-central Poland, on the Vistula River. Its population was 202,074 as of December 2018. Previously it was the capital of the Toruń Voivodeship and the Pomeranian Voivodeship.  Courtesy of Wikipedia.
As it’s a bit longer to get there, than the first stop this morning, Greg is collecting payment for the optionals.
10:35 and windmills are starting to pop up.  Must be a windy area that we are passing through.
We arrived in Torun around 11:30 and went to the Bulwar Hotel where we had our Insight “ Thank you” drinks with food. As we walked in the door, I realised that is was the same hotel that the tour stayed at in 2014. After what was pretty much lunch, we were introduced to the local guide, who then took us on a walk through parts of the old town, finally ending near the town hall. 

The coach was departing for Gdańsk at 2:40, so we had more than an hour to explore. Neither Carolyn, myself or Nicole were interested in just walking for the sake of it and we had taken what photos we wanted to take, so we found a small cafe, and ordered a drink. We have learnt to ask for the bill when drinks come. That way, if we suddenly realise that we need to get back to the coach, we don’t have to wait around for the bill to be produced.

Everyone was back onboard in plenty of time, so we departed on schedule.  It’s nice travelling with a group where no one is late.
3:20pm. A rather solid rain fall for about 10 minutes.
Greg put a short BBC video on, about the murder of the Romanov family, which ran until 4:25pm. By then we were only about 15 minutes away from the hotel, depending on the traffic.  I have been following our route on maps.me.
We arrived at the hotel about 4:45 and were quickly checked in. I took my main luggage up to my room with me, as we will be leaving for dinner & 6:30.
We took the coach to dinner but as it’s only 600 metres away, I’ll be walking back to the hotel after the meal.  To get there by coach is a couple of kilometres. 
The meal was at Hotel Gdansk, which is also a craft brewery. I forgot to take a photo of the menu but all the dishes that I ate were delicious.  The dessert didn’t come out until 9:30 but after finishing that, most of us departed for the hotel.  Carolyn & I walked back and were back at the hotel just before 10pm.
I’ll be having a bit of a sleep-in tomorrow, as we are here for 2 nights and are not heading out tomorrow until 9pm.
Steps Walked                      8,185
Hotel: Radisson Blu Hotel, Gdańsk.

No comments:

Day 26 - Tour day 15 – Sunday 28 July 2019 - From Moscow to Canberra

Sunrise:         4:26am (I added the actual flight times after I wrote my notes.) I don’t know what time I woke up this morning the f...