17 July 2019

Day 14 - Tour Day 3 – Tue 16 July 2019 – Warsaw to Vilnius

Sunrise:         4:33am                                              Sunset:          9:46pm

I woke when the alarm went off at 5am. Everything all packed up for the drive to Vilnius. The main luggage weighs just under 15kg and the carry-on, just under 10kg, so my purchases yesterday haven’t added any real weight to the bags.
I put my bag out just after 6am and it was gone when I went down to breakfast at 6:30.  I sat with Kathy & John and caught up on their news from yesterday.
When I came downstairs later most of the people were already on the coach and we departed right on time. 
There are another 2 solo females sitting in different seat rows and 1 male. As it’s a full coach Anna told the 2 women that they would have to sit next to each other, as the couples needed to sit together. Neither wanted to move next to each other. They both appear to be well into their 70’s or even early 80’s. They are sitting adjacent to Nicole & myself and didn’t introduce themselves to each other, so a bit of tension there. We departed on time and Anna explained some of the coach rules as we were driving out of the city.

Once we get to the Lithuanian border, our watches go ahead 1 hour. According to the bus temperature, it’s 18c outside, so another nice day, so far.

10am and we are passing through farming areas. Lots of trees lining the side of the road and lots of crops that appear to be mainly corn and wheat.  The villages/towns are also fairly close to each other compared to the town/villages that we passed through on the previous tour, even though we are still in Poland. Some very large farm houses. Have also seen a number of stork nests, with young sitting in them.

We had a comfort stop just after 9:30, for about 20 minutes. A chance to stretch my legs.

There are 39 people on the tour. 5 singles, 4 of them female and 1 male. 
Anna handed a paper  around with the first 3 optionals on it. Anna does things slightly different from other TD’s that I’ve travelled with.  Though having said that, perhaps not, as the optionals apply only to the ones that happen on this tour, not Russia, which is another tour. Still lots of farming land and also huge patches of forested areas.

11am and the countryside has changed. Much hillier and it’s raining lightly. More cattle on the farms now, than before,
We stopped for lunch at a small restaurant named Menera. I had a coffee and a plate of hot chips.
The temp has dropped. It’s now 14c and raining with thunder. 

Passed through the border into Lithuania, so have put the watch forward an hour, to 5 past 2.

3:15pm and it’s still raining. Thank goodness it’s a travel day.  
About half the people on the coach have just had an afternoon siesta. Don’t know if I’ll be taking many photos today because of the rain.
Arrived at hotel approx 4:30pm. Room 215.  Small room but it’s a double bed. The window faces an inner yard and other room windows face on to it too, so the drapes will be kept closed.

















The meal was at the hotel tonight and it was delicious.
A tomato soup






Followed by beef and vegetables















And then a dessert, that we think was a pannacotta of some sort.  Very dry, drizzled with honey.  Not quite to my taste though.

A few of us had a nightcap in the bar and I then went to bed.

Steps Walked                     1,486
Hotel: Radisson Blu Royal Astorija Hotel, Vilnius

No comments:

Day 26 - Tour day 15 – Sunday 28 July 2019 - From Moscow to Canberra

Sunrise:         4:26am (I added the actual flight times after I wrote my notes.) I don’t know what time I woke up this morning the f...