10 July 2019

Day 7 - Tour Day 5 - Tuesday 9 July 2019 – Wroclaw to Poznań

Sunrise:         4:47am                                              Sunset:          9:13pm

I woke when the alarm went off this morning. Showered, dressed and put my bag out by 7:15, even though I wasn’t doing the morning optional.  Uploaded some photos to my Flickr account and then went downstairs at 8:15 for breakfast, as Nicole & I had arranged to meet then.  After breakfast we went walking back to the main square.

It was a brisk morning, weather wise, but quite pleasant.  We were on a gnome walk. We found  quite a number of different gnomes, which we photographed.




After, what seemed like a very short time, I looked at my watch it was 10am, so we started walking back towards the hotel.  We called into the shopping mall near the hotel to buy some food for lunch, as we would be eating on the coach.
Back to my room to pick up my carry-on and then checked out.  The others were back from the optional and we were all onboard and on our way to Poznan by midday.
Greg put the video back on for the 2nd half of the movie that we were watching yesterday. He also handed around a snack for those who wanted it. Traditional cheese (very salty) and small sticks of cabanossi or cabana.
Apparently it’s only about 3hrs to Poznan, so a short time on the bus today.
We pulled into a service station just after 1pm, for a short stop. I think the town is Leszno.  Very cloudy today but with patches of blue sky around. There must have been some light rain, as the road here is slightly wet.  We were on our way again at 1:25 and shortly after we were on a country road. Lots of farming land. 

2:12pm and we just passed over the Warta river, which is a tributary of the Oder river.  Its approximately 795 kilometres and is the countries 2nd longest river.  
I can see rain spots on the windscreen and clear blue sky in patches overhead. 
One thing I have noticed here in Poland, is that if it looks like rain or maybe just very cloudy, car headlights are on. It just on 2:30pm, the road is barely wet and car’s have their headlights on.  Straight ahead of us, is a blue sky with some puffy white clouds. 
We have just re-joined a highway.  It's was rather pleasant driving through the narrow country roads.  Our driver is Jacek. Don’t know his last name but I think he has been a driver on another tour that I’ve done, as I have seen his face before.
Poznan is the 5th largest city in Poland. It’s know for its universities as well as its old town, with Renaissance style buildings in the Old Market Square.  The town hall’s clock features goats that butt heads at noon. 
We hit the outskirts at 2:45 and headed for Cathedral Island, or Ostrow Tumski first up, to meet a local guide. Arrived there around 3pm and did a tour of the Cathedral and the downstairs area where the former kings were buried.  
The Archcathedral Basilica of St. Peter and St. Paul
 is one of the oldest churches in Poland and the oldest Polish cathedral, dating from the 10th century.
After that visit, we were back on the bus to be driven closer to the Market Square and our visit  to hear about and taste St. Martin’s croissant’s, a local delicacy of Poznan. Not to my taste at all.
After that, we had 45 minutes to check out the market square and were meeting up again at 5:45.  Nicole & I found a café near the meeting place and had a wine and people watched. After that, is was back on the bus and to the hotel, where our bags had already been delivered to our rooms.

Dinner  was in the hotel at 7pm. Menu consisted of a lovely rich thick tomato soup, main was grilled chicken with green beans and potatoes and dessert, a chocolate topped cheese cake. A quite delicious meal, although some of my chicken was a bit dry and stringy. After dinner finished, Carolyn, Nicole & myself went to the hotel’s sports bar and enjoyed conversation and a glass of red wine before retiring for the night.

The usual 6:30 breakfast start tomorrow, with the main bags being put outside our rooms by 7am and we will be departing for Gdansk at 8am
Steps Walked                      11,295
Hotel: Sheraton Poznań Hotel.

No comments:

Day 26 - Tour day 15 – Sunday 28 July 2019 - From Moscow to Canberra

Sunrise:         4:26am (I added the actual flight times after I wrote my notes.) I don’t know what time I woke up this morning the f...